Did You Ever Have To Make-Up Your Mind. . .

I have been delivered an ultimatum by my truly long-suffering husband.  I have to sew through my stash in the six months before we move, no packing fabric.  While I initially protested, I’m now actually quite excited.  One of my core beliefs is that restriction fosters creativity and this is quite a challenge.   I have a random assortment of impulse purchases, two I suspect are actually vintage.  There’s at least one more Halloween dress in there, and I can’t wait to make it up!  But there is one piece of fabric that has me stumped.

5 yards of confusion.

I bought it on sale, on impulse and it has been taking up space for months.  Five yards is enough to make any of the full-skirted patterns I have.

But I don’t know if I can see this print in any of these silhouettes.  Just today I had the idea that maybe it leans in more of an Art Deco direction.  I have two reprinted 1930’s patterns but, again, I just don’t know if I can see it.  At least not yet.

Input is more than welcome!  I should have some interesting projects emerging from the depths of my stash pile, and I’ll be so happy when this one is figured out.

7 Comments Add yours

1. Elena says:

What sort of material is this? How does it drape? I think it is more of a ’60s – ’70s thing, myself. But much depends on the drape!
    In the worst case you could make pyjamas out of it – or a jumpsuit! 😁

Liked by 1 person

1. Tilly Gibson says:

I snagged it out of the quilting section, but now that I’ve washed it it has a very nice drape. The pyjamas are a really good idea though!

2. retrodee says:

I don’t know anything about fabric and sewing, so I can’t really offer my 2 cents, but I LOVE those 1950’s patterns, the retro ’56 especially! Good luck with the dress, I will stay tuned! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Emily Kitsch says:

Hmm! This is a tough one! Like Elena, I can totally see it being used for something super 70’s or it could make a really cool mod 60’s dress (though then you’d probably have quite a bit of yardage left!). Of the patterns shown, I think Simplicity 8248 could look really nice in this fabric. I think I’d be stumped too! The fabric is amazing though and I can’t wait to see what you make with it! 🙂

Also, wow, good luck sewing through your stash in the next six months!! I don’t have an enormous stash by most standards, but I don’t think I could manage the challenge! As it is, I realized I have three or four big bags of scraps left over from projects and I’ve got to sort through them and see if there’s anything worth keeping for things like doll clothes, etc, because I definitely don’t want to bring these huge bags of scraps with me when I move!

Liked by 2 people

1. Tilly Gibson says:

Ahh, scraps are so handy! As of this writing, my husband is fully unaware of my scrap box. . .

1. Emily Kitsch says:

LOL! Sneaky sneaky! 😉 It’s SO hard to part with scraps though, isn’t it? I’ve yet to sort through the bags I mentioned – or should I say, sort through them AGAIN, because I’ve been bagging them up over and over again for a year or more and keep meaning to banish them from the apartment, but then decide I “need” them. I should just take the bull by the horns and get rid of those bags already!

Yet even as I wrote that, my brain was whining, “but, but, but, I might NEEED them!”

4. I would choose the butterick 6055 pattern. It has less detail in the pattern…less seaming? It wouldn’t distract from the lively print. I think the collar would look cool with the design too. (For me making up my mind about a sewing project can be the hardest part.) Hope whatever you choose turns out amazing!

Liked by 1 person