Highlights Reel!

I have two absolutely fabulous sewing projects coming up, which means a trip to the thrift store after work to get old sheets for mock-ups.  I hadn’t been to the thrift store in quite a while, so I headed over to the little sewing sections.  That’s when I spotted a few packages of vintage patterns nestled in with the old knitting projects and embroidery hoops.  I’m banking on tips being real good on Thanksgiving, so I plundered the joint.  Here are my absolute favorites!  Also, these patterns are now all up for consideration for that hard-to-place fabric in the post previous to this one.

Every. Single. View. Slays.  I can’t make up my mind on this one.  1964

I’ve never used one of these old mail order patterns before!  There are no markings on the tissue!

I’ve never been so powerfully drawn to pink gingham before.  I have never owned a single article of pink clothing, but that’s about to change! 1962

This is so chic, I could wear mod styles every day and be perfectly happy.

This…this may be the one that I’m most excited about.  Nothing like a wedding dress for casual wear.  I cannot make up my mind between views 3 and 4.  This pattern is from 1971, while my other one is from 1976.

Maternity wear!  It’s so fun to find maternity patterns, they’re so rare!  While this one certainly is stylish, I just don’t see it being more comfortable than yoga pants and a t-shirt.

I opened the packages in the car, don’t worry, my husband was driving and this is when I started screaming.  I have said in the past that clothes from the 50’s are over-rated.  They’re not.  They’re really not! 1955.

This whole get-up is so smart I can barely stand it.

First of all, how clever are all these collar options?  For someone who can never make up her mind about anything, this is a revelation, why don’t we see design features like this more often? 1956.

These sleeves have thrown me for a loop and I don’t think I’ll ever return.  These sleeves are serving us 1980’s realness, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s from the early 1960’s.

Time has not been kind to out model’s face, but look! Ruffles!

My second mu-mu pattern.  I still plan on making both!

These two are so similar, I just lumped them together. 1964 – R 1966 – L.

I love good design, from the simplicity of the 60’s, the elegance of the 50’s, and the romance of the 70’s, I could never wear just one decade!

10 Comments Add yours

1. Elena says:

Wow! 😀 See, that’s why I like magazines – you get *loads* of patterns for your money. Choosing is the hardest bit for me too!

Liked by 1 person

1. Tilly Gibson says:

Oooooh, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled!

1. Elena says:

I don’t know if American magazines contained patterns, not all magazines did. But those German magazines that I buy, cost about £20 each, exactly the price of a single vintage pattern, original or reproduction. I get on average 10 useful full dress patterns from each magazine, reducing the cost per pattern by factor 10 (and presenting me with the agony of choice!). Of course, magazine patterns come on those busy sheets with many lines printed over, and you have to trace them onto copy paper first, but I really enjoy that bit… weird, I know. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Tilly Gibson says:

That sounds fabulous! I have found a few online, but they’re all in Italian! Maybe someday I’ll have the confidence to try them out.

3. Elena says:

Oh! I’ve been looking for Italian ones and could not find any! Would you mind sharing the link, since you don’t want them yourself? Thanks. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. Tilly Gibson says:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/180429158/pdfs-of-vintage-50s-pattern-drafting here’s one, and if you go to the shop, there a lot more! I hope you’re able to make some sense of these, I’d love to see them all done up. I’m sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I don’t have a computer at the moment, lol.

5. Elena says:

Thank you!! That Etsy shop is amazing! Actually, she says that everything has been translated into English. 😀 My Italian is not on speaking level, but I’ve sewn from Italian magazines before (1990s – 2000s) where everything was completely in Italian. Learned a few words this way. 🙂
        I’ll be certainly buying something from that shop!
        But first: today I bought an original copy of a German sewing magazine Der Bazar dated 1892, complete with pattern sheets!!! The same sort as what the Germans use to this day – like in Burda magazines. Turns out they’ve been doing it for years… centuries, rather! 😮

Liked by 1 person

6. Tilly Gibson says:

I’m so excited for you!

7. Elena says:

😀 I bought the one you had in your original link – that’s the best one, I agree! I see now how the system works – I’ve used such a system before. It is true what the seller says – you have to modify the patterns after you’ve drawn them *if* your bust-waist-hips proportions are different to the reference system… after it’s been altered by the resizing attempt. Basically, you’ll have to alter the patterns, but first you’ll need to figure out how to alter them because you have no frame of reference (the original measurements are not printed anywhere either). You can measure the pattern pieces, of course, but you don’t know the ease, and if the garment has draping, it will be impossible to tell how far off you are… 😦 I think I’ll have to make one of the plainer close-fitting garments first – just to check the proportions. This will be an epic enterprise! 😮
        What fun!!!!!

2. Emily Kitsch says:

What an amazing score! These patterns are fabulous! I love the wedding dresses too and you’re SO right about the 80’s sleeves on Simplicity 3220! Those sleeves completely threw me because my first thought was “OMG SO 80’S!” but the pattern is so clearly NOT! What an odd but fascinating find that was! All these patterns are fabulous and I can’t wait to see your versions! 😀

Liked by 1 person