Field Notes, and a Brief History Lesson.

Today was one of those dazzling spring days that just beg you to walk around in the sun.  As I drove home from work this morning I knew I had to get out in it and I had the idea to try something that I’ve been wondering about for a while.  I had, until today,…

Finished! Edwardian Walking Skirt.

Like most of my historical sewing projects, I learned a lot by making mistakes.  The biggest mistake I made on this one was using the wrong weight of material for this skirt.  There’s a great post by The Pragmatic Costumer about some of the most obvious and avoidable mistakes you can make while constructing historical clothing.  Of…

Finished! 1903 Undergarments.

Finally!  This was a little more of an undertaking than I assumed when I started.  Good grief, 8 yards of muslin, who knows how much lace, hours and hours of work, and four bloodied fingers.  I had to do a lot of hand stitching and I’m not very good at it.  I get distracted a…

Pre-view! (And an Apology)

First, an apology.  Mom, I know I promised I would never show pictures of myself in my underwear on the Internet. . . but Edwardian underwear has three layers to it so I think I’m safe.  On to the preview! This is just a preview, more to come, uh, eventually!  The bloomers are done, save…

Aargh.

  I try try to keep things positive here, but I just have to vent for a minute.  I’ve been working on these bloomers for days and my hands are cramping from all the pinning! It’s also very cold and drafty in my little sewing corner, so that doesn’t help. Shout out to the new…